Monday, April 24, 2017

Mississippi Mud Cake: My Daddy's Birthday Request



Because life is insane at this time of the year, I’m just getting to posting this edition of the our Mother and Daughter Cooking Adventure. We have been on hiatus a bit with some sickness this Winter/Spring, so thanks for sticking with us! I hope we are back in the groove!

Recipe-Card
Last Wednesday, in honor of the birthdays of two of my favorite guys, my brother and my dad that share a birthday this weekend- we decided to honor my dad’s request for a Mississippi Mud Cake. Not pie people, cake- much richer and sweeter because come on- CAKE!  If you have never had this cake or even a pie like it, you are missing a chance to get diabetes for sure- but totally worth it. It has all the sweet things- sugar, cocoa, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and let’s not forget about the marshmallows! We used a recipe from my grandmother’s good friend Jean Williams- typed with care on a note card on surprise – a typewriter!



Mom and Me
Yummy-goodness...
I had to taste it the batter.
 If you glance at the ingredients, you’ll notice a few things that some things that are often left off of our recipes today and might cause some to shudder at Crisco AND Oleo. 



For real though, what good is a recipe without a blob of Crisco and a stick or two of Oleo??  Oleo is- well it’s what we call margarine- it has more oil in it than butter. Whenever I hear those two words together- it immediately makes me think of my grandmother- the lady I was named after. Her kitchen was made with love in all the things she baked with Crisco and Oleo. I remember the way she said it in her sophisticated Alabama Southern Voice and the way the kitchen smelled when they were being baked. Life is a little better with a bit of Oleo in it, I’m sure. Today, she’s surely smiling although we put the butter in the cake instead of her staple Oleo. It even starts to have effect on my mom when she started calling me –Julia- ann…;)

Then make the icing.
Added the marshmallows
We also didn’t have enough sugar so we added a little bit of brown sugar- we used butter though instead of the oleo. I was a bit disappointed that we had to wait to eat it, but it was well worth the wait! A Sunday evening cook-out to celebrate two of my favorite guys. And how else do you top off a good birthday or birthdays, but with a good game of hide and seek??!  

Finished Product, but we have to wait!
I think he liked it!
A huge shout out to our resident birthday boy and photographer (who suprisingly didn't take a picture of himself), who turned the big 3-0 on Saturday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment