Sunday, March 5, 2017

The one with all the feels and all the memories

This blog post wrote itself before I even sat down to share it with you. We had cooking with mom on location at my sister's house. In celebration of one of favorite people on earth, my younger sister, Lizzy, Elizabeth, or whom I affectionately call Sister Two, we made an old family favorite. This particularly family favorite we couldn't find the recipe card for (but my mom made one for with a card that looks like it's old ;))  but it's one we know by heart and happens to be one of her favorites: Slum Gullion (I'm not even sure I spell it right??!!) When I smell this concoction- it literally takes me to a specific time and place, a particular person or persons, although the name of it might turn some off - it's simply amazing and has all the goodness of a family favorite.

My sister!
The re-written recipe
The rest of it...
My grandmother's sister, Aunt Mary, used to live next door with her husband, Uncle Bill. The lived in this little house most of their life and raised my cousin Bill there (who's just a few years younger than my mom). When I was really little, I might have been a little frightened of him because he was always a quiet man who sat in his chair in the corner- he didn't always say much. The older I got, I used to relish getting to head over to Uncle Bill's and Aunt Mary's to share in his wisdom, but not only that his cooking too.

I remember the little kitchen near the back of the house that had the fifties theme- small, green, and linoleum, but full of so much warmth, especially when cooking was happening! 

Sautee Onions
My sister works the back half of the week at Amazon, which means long hours. That usually works out favorably for everyone because that means my mama takes the reigns on the cooking.
Ground meat

She began sautee'ing up those onions and browning that ground chuck to start. The aroma of those two things began to fill the house with that same old warmth.
Spaghetti-os, Ketchup

Then, she added in the brown sugar, Worcestershire (you know how she feels about that stuff), ketchup, and then all the yummy goodness of spaghetti-os. Once these all get combined - my sister and I starting asking about when it was going to be ready- all the memories flood back. 

From Uncle Bill's and Aunt Mary's to our kitchen growing up. My niece didn't love it, but it is a meal you grow to love. We talked to her daddy and brother on FaceTime and he was completely jealous- he didn't like it a first but he loves it now. She'll love it someday soon, she has to- it's required eating in this family. Huge shout out to my cousin Bill who's daddy shared this recipe with our family and created memories that have lasted a lifetime. It's also creating a new generation of memories to come.

My niece setting the table (my mini-me)
Talking to Daddy
Final Product






No comments:

Post a Comment